SingleStore Replicate Overview
SingleStore Replicate is a tool for transferring data from a wide variety of heterogeneous databases into SingleStore DB. It provides a number of features and functions to tailor how the data is replicated, and offers:
- A command-line interface for installation, configuration, and use
- Importing data from certain sources, notably Oracle, via a transaction-consistent point-in-time snapshot
- Customizable filters and maps to tailor the replicated data
- SQL 2017, 2016, and 2014 standards compliance
Note that this tool is not analogous to SingleStore DB’s REPLICATE DATABASE command, nor is it related to this functionality.
To best take advantage of SingleStore DB’s flexibility and scalability, data in existing databases can now be moved into SingleStore DB, allowing data-driven applications to work with minimal changes to either code or data. This capability is especially important when the requirements of the original application have grown beyond the ability to scale the current database, or the database system product hosting the original database has simply become too costly to scale.
Supported Data Sources
SingleStore Replicate supports data transfer from the following sources into SingleStore DB:
- AWS Aurora
- DB2 (IBM)
- Hana (SAP)
- MemSQL v6.0 and later
- Oracle Enterprise Edition (EE) including Compression and Partitioning and Real Application Clusters (RAC)
- PostgreSQL v9.4 and later
- SQL Server (Microsoft)
Capabilities and Benefits
Replicate supports high-performance ingest using a parallel, distributed architecture that reduces labor and speeds data transfer, which decreases the time it takes to complete complex data transfer jobs from weeks down to days. Replicate’s benefits grow as the complexity of the data transfer increases.
Physical or virtual machines configured for high performance will make Replicate achieve maximum scaling and replication throughput. An example hardware configuration that typically works well for Replicate consists of:
- A multi-core 32/64-bit CPU with 128GB memory
- A minimum of 400-500GB (SSDs/NVMe) of free storage
- A current Linux version (CentOS/Ubuntu/Red Hat)
- Java 8 or later installed (via the JRE or JDK)
A fast network connection with provisioned redundancies at all points of failure will offer the best performance, reliability, and lowest latency for replication.
As Replicate is Java-based, it may be possible, though not guaranteed, to work on other operating systems that can run Java SE Runtime Environment 8. Support for other operating systems is planned for future releases.
Obtain Replicate Software and Documentation
SingleStore Replicate is available to all customers who have purchased the SingleStore DB database or SingleStore Managed Service. To obtain the SingleStore Replicate software and full documentation, contact your SingleStore sales representative, or SingleStore support.